A mixed gender Group for young people between 14 and 18 years of age. In the 4 years with the explorer unit you could earn your Chief Scouts Platinum, Chief Scouts Diamond and Queen Scout Award, these come with an added bonus of Duke of Edinburgh awards Bronze Silver and Gold.
You should also have the opportunity to Gain BCU (British Canoe Union) 1*, 2* and Sometimes 3*. We have a number of RYA instructors so Levels 1,2 & 3 Dinghy Sailing and 1, 2 & Safety-boat is possible in the Power-boating side.
As an Explorer unit we organise a wide variety of activities including from our weekly program which could include :
In the winter : Cooking, Navigation, talks from interesting people, Night hikes, games in the park, chip shop surveys, Nautical Training.
In the summer : boating, Canoeing, Kayak and Sailing on offer each week as well as rafting and other amusing things.
We also organise two main activities per year usually one over Easter weekend and one in the summer, and various weekend activities; these have included :
- Weekends in the Solent - planning and carrying out expeditions by RIB, Yacht and Dinghy
- A week on the French Canals - enjoying the French countryside and food while floating along
- Camping in Bala and Windermere - with sailing, kayaking and hillwalking as a main focus
- Cardboard City - where the explorers make shelters from cardboard boxes with points for style and comfort
- Events organised by the Navy - a week each year staying on HMS Bristol in Portsmouth, where a range of activities from Yachting to Assault courses are on offer, the annual swimming Gala at HMS Raleigh in Devon
- Disney Weekend - Some of the explorers wanted to relive their childhoods and spent the weekend watching Disney films on a 80" screen
- Competitions - We take part in the National Pulling Regatta, National Sailing Regatta and the Midlands Sea Scout meet (a Midlands competition for Sailing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Rowing and sculling)